Can Serrat, approximately 1187 square meters, is a classic old Catalan farmhouse. The space functions as a community where people from different cultures, fields, and topics of research can work on their own process, meet and exchange under the same roof. Located in the beautiful environment of El Bruc, a small village that skirts the mountain of Montserrat and is just forty-five kilometers from Barcelona, the house provides various spaces and workshops for working in an awe-inspiring surrounding natural environment. A pleasant walk along paths and trails leads one from the house to the foot of the mountain, where one can enjoy a spectacular view of Les Agülles, or The Needles, of Montserrat.
The activities organized reflect an interest in being present to processes, production, research, question, doubt, understanding, curiosity, and debate.
The house organizes ongoing projects that everyone is welcome to participate in during their stay here. These include, but are not limited to, a selected residency program for contemporary art and writing projects, a local nonprofit organization called Els Amics de Can Serrat
that organizes activities within the local context, a co-op for local and ecological products called Roca Verda
, and a non profit organization called Be Sport.
Every month the house welcomes and organizes different activities in order to activate the research of the projects in production: sound recorded debates proposed by residents themselves, a dinner in which we invite village locals to have a cultural exchange with the household, projects’ presentations, a book club in which we share resources by reading excerpts and texts in various languages, ping pong tournament and visits to relevant cultural project spaces and other residencies.
From February to March 2020, Can Serrat will welcome up to 15 research projects.
FEE* (per person in a shared bedroom)**
- one week: 198€ (6 nights)
- one month: 990€ (30 nights)
- two months: 1782€ (including a 10% extra support)
*daily rate = 33€
**for a private bedroom: an additional + 12€ per day.
- Research project
No theme required
Open to all disciplines (mathematics, astrology, physics, agriculture, architecture, mythology, anthropology, philosophy, literature, sociology, (micro)biology, ecology, music, performance, theatre, dance, visual art, etc)
Minimum stay: one week / maximum stay: 2 months.
- shared or private bedroom
- Food (half-board on weekdays)
- Shared studio space and access to all equipment (printmaking, sound recording, projectors, general tools)
- Access to all activities organized by Can Serrat : project presentations, recorded debates, literature club, local cultural visits.
—- A .PDF file entitled “Last Name_canserrat_Coliving2020”
This document needs to include:
- A brief description about your work and purpose while at Can Serrat (one page max)
- CV and brief biography.
- The application can be in Catalan, Spanish, French, or English. We cannot accept other languages at this time.
- The application must be sent using the online form at the end of this page.
Deadline to apply: December 31st, 2019.
Dates of the residency will be: between February and March 2020.
FILL IN THE FOLLOWING FORM >https://forms.gle/ytwzrodNcTVYq6mN8
FYI — This call is not part of the art/literature residency program. To apply to the grants program please check our open calls here