Can Serrat, approximately 1187 square meters, is an old classic Catalan farmhouse. In 1989, eleven Norwegian artists bought the house and began renovations. Can Serrat is located in the beautiful surroundings of El Bruc, a small town that borders the mountain of Montserrat, and is approximately 45 kilometers outside of Barcelona. The house has several spaces and workshops to work in and is situated in beautiful natural surroundings. A pleasant walk takes you from the house to the foot of the mountain, where you can enjoy a view of Montserrat’s Les Agülles, or “The Needles”.
Can Serrat works as a community where people from different cultures and fields interested in a variety of research topics can meet under the same roof. The house hosts several projects throughout the year in which everyone can participate during their stay. These include, among others, a residency program that selects contemporary art and writing projects, a non-profit association called Els Amics de Can Serrat that organizes activities in relation to the local context, and a consumer cooperative for local and ecological products called Roca Verde. Each month, the house welcomes and organizes different activities to activate the investigation of the projects in production: conversations, readings, a dinner open to the local community, and project presentations, to name a few.
Can Serrat is a creative space, that welcomes community and process. As such, the activities we organize are oriented around this idea and reflect an interest in being present in that process, research, question, doubt, understanding, curiosity, and debate.
The residency program supports writing and artistic production in process, offering time, space and individual support as needed. The call is open to all topics and mediums. Selected residents will have time and space to work on their own projects while residing in Can Serrat.
The juries have 3 main criteria for selecting projects:
– Relation and/or relevance of the work/proposed project with Can Serrat and its surrounding context.
– Singularity of the work and /or the proposed project.
– Relation of the work/proposed project to the notion of collective/collectivity/community.
The jury will select 16 writing proposals to be part of the residency for the summer – fall of 2022. The breakdown of scholarships and invitations will be as follows:
- 1 full scholarship (includes accommodation* + food box*** + shared studio + human resources and network)
- 5 Grant #1 (570€/month accommodation** + food box*** + shared studio + human resources and network)
- 5 Grant #2 (930€/month accommodation** + food box*** + shared studio + human resources and network)
- 5 Grant #3 (1290€/month accommodation** + food box*** + shared studio + human resources and network)
** shared bedroom (maximum 3 persons). To get access to a private bedroom, contact the staff to know the conditions.
*** + a communal dinner prepared every Friday.
__ All resident from the program get to publish their work process in the annual catalogue of projects. __
WHO CAN APPLY?
Individuals, duos, or collectives with a contemporary art practice (visual arts, printmaking, research-based, interdisciplinary, performing arts, etc) are encouraged to apply.
A PDF file called: “surname_first name_CAsummer-fall_2022call”
This file must contain:
- General statement–A paragraph that provides the general context for your current work process, research and interests, methodologies and references.
- Relevant documentation–please provide up to 5 documented samples such as photographs, sound recordings, video, etc with a 3-5 sentence description.
- Project Description–Provide a short description (no more than one page) describing the work you plan to do while in residency. Please include here why you wish to carry out this project in Can Serrat specifically.
- Link to website
- CV / Biography
LANGUAGE OF APPLICATION
Catalan, Spanish, French, or English. Other languages will not be accepted.
The application must be submitted using the application form at the end of this page.
Application period: October 1-31, 2021
Results announcement: December 2021
Residency Period: from 1-2 months between the months of July-December 9, 2022
THE JURY WILL CONSIST OF:
Sophie Blais_Director of Can Serrat
Sarah Goodchild Robb_Artistic coordination and Communication
Fora de Camp_Nomadic residency based in Barcelona
HOW TO APPLY?
FILL IN THE FOLLOWING FORM