FALL OPEN CALL
FOR MULTIPLE DISCIPLINES
Can Serrat, approximately 1187 square meters, is a classic old Catalan farmhouse. The space functions as a community where people from different cultures, fields, and topics of research can work on their own process, meet and exchange under the same roof. Located in the beautiful environment of El Bruc, a small village that skirts the mountain of Montserrat, and is just forty-five kilometers from Barcelona, the house provides various spaces and workshops for working in an awe-inspiring surrounding natural environment. A pleasant walk along paths and trails leads one from the house to the foot of the mountain, where one can enjoy a spectacular view of Les Agülles, or The Needles, of Montserrat.
The activities organized reflect an interest in being present to processes, research, question, doubt, understanding, curiosity, and debate. The house organizes ongoing projects that everyone is welcome to participate in during their stay here. These include, but are not limited to, a selected residency program for contemporary art and writing projects, a local nonprofit organization called Els Amics de Can Serrat that organizes activities within the local context, and a co-op for local and ecological products.
Every month the house welcomes and organizes different activities in order to activate the research of the projects in production: sound recorded debates proposed by residents themselves, a dinner in which we invite local citizens of the village to have a cultural exchange with the household, project presentations, a book club in which we share resources by reading excerpts and texts in various languages, ping pong championship, and visits to relevant cultural project spaces and other residencies.
In October and November 2019, Can Serrat proposes to welcome up to 15 proposals from multiple fields (art, anthropology, philosophy, writing, sociology, (micro)biology, ecology, music, performance, theatre, dance, etc) for a duration minimum of a week and maximum of 2 months.
- Accommodation (shared or private)
- Food (half-board on weekday)
- Shared studio space and access to all equipment (printmaking, sound recording, projectors, general tools) >> studio optional*.
- Access to all activities organized by Can Serrat : project presentations, debates, literature club, local cultural visits.
Fee (per person in a shared bedroom)**
- one week: 198€
- three weeks: 693€
- one month: 990€
- two months: 1980€
* for studio space : + 12€ per day
**for a private bedroom: +12€ per day.
- A.PDF file entitled “Last Name_canserrat_MULTIcall”
- This document needs to include:
- A brief description about your work and purpose while at Can Serrat (one page max)
- CV and brief biography.
- The application can be in Catalan, Spanish, French, or English. We cannot accept other languages at this time.
- The application must be sent using the online form at the end of this page.
Deadline to apply: September 15th, 2019.
Dates of the residency will be: between October and November 2019
HOW CAN I APPLY?
FILL IN THE FOLLOWING FORM > https://forms.gle/ytwzrodNcTVYq6mN8